Because it is quite a bit smaller than the other brands (width and general shape wise), there are no controls on it. It needs a remote control in order to change settings such as programs or volume. The main negative about this is that if I was to lose or break the controller (or simply forget to bring it with me someplace) I would be stuck on whatever program and volume it was set to. I would only be able to turn my processor on/off from a power standpoint. Luckily, I can get a remote sent to me overnight or could buy a back-up remote (for a mere $300ish).
I have two different battery options to use with Chip. The first is a rechargeable battery that lasts 12-14 hours. I have three of these batteries. The second is to use disposable batteries - which will last 2-3 days. The battery containers are two different attachments, so I have to switch pieces if I wish to change my power method.
This shows how I would use my IPod. I have to change battery covers to one that has a special plug at the bottom (FM Adapter). My kit came with the cable that basically serves like the "headphones" would - it connects the battery cover to my IPod or whatever else I want to listen to. So when I listen to music it is sent directly into my head! Pretty wild, huh?! As you can also see, the FM battery cover is slightly longer than the normal battery cover.
When I decided on the Opus 2, I had to pick a color for the processor. However, I was surprised that my kit also came with the option to change to any of the other colors I didn't choose. But note this is only for the coil cover (round portion) and the battery cover. The little piece in the middle is the actual processor - I can not change the color of that. So my implant would be multi-colored if I change battery or coil covers.
This last photo just shows the little brief-case all of my goodies came in. When it is closed it looks like a poker kit! My kit contained literally two (sometimes three or four) of every single piece or part of my external device. So I have back-up in case anything breaks! Well, except for the remote - got only one of those for now!
*Med-El is an Austrian company and another CI maker Cochlear is Australian so it is possible they have models out not yet FDA approved for U.S. consumers.
Hey Jess - I am so happy for you that you can hear again, and I love reading about the simple things you can now enjoy that we all took for granted. See you on Tuesday for your bday with the girls;). Love, Heather
ReplyDeleteCongrats on joining us in the world of robotic ears. It does get better with every day. I promise, when I had my second CI activated this past week it sounded like the chipmunks. Now they are gone and life is better. Congrats!!! Keep searching for sounds, you will be amazed at what you can hear.
ReplyDeleteJessica -
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed reading about your journey, it was quite informative so thanks for posting! Conor and I are so excited that your progress has gone so well!! We've been thinking of you a lot these past few weeks. Best of luck and hopefully we can get together soon to celebrate! PS. Happy Birthday too! - Jessica Nicholson